Note: The following information is contained in the website http://www.circinfo.net/, and it has been copied with permission. This is not an exact copy of all the information found on the website http://www.circinfo.net/. For an exact text of the information contained in that site, please go onto the above mentioned site.
1. Adami H-O, Trichopoulos D. Cervical cancer and the elusive male factor. N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 1160-1161.
2. Adelman WP, Joffe A. Controversies in male adolescent health: varicocele, circumcision, and testicular self-examination. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2004; 16: 363-367.
3. Adler R, Ottaway S, Gould S. Circumcision: we have heard from the experts; now let's hear from the parents. Pediatrics. 2001; 107: http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/107/2/e20.
4. Agartan CA, Kaya DA, Ozturk CE, Gulcan A. Is aerobic preputial flora age dependent? Jpn J Infect Dis. 2005; 58: 276-278.
5. Agarwal SS, Sehgal A, Sardana S, Kumar A, Luthra UK . Role of male behaviour in cervical carcinogenesis among women with one lifetime sexual partner. Cancer. 1993; 72: 1666-1669.
6. Agot KE, Ndinya-Achola JO, Kreiss JL, Weiss NS . Risk of HIV-1 in Kenya . A comparison of circumcised and uncircumcised men. Epidemiology. 2004; 15: 157-163.
7. al-Samarrai AY, Mofti AB, Crankson SJ, Jawad A, Haque K, al-Meshari A. A review of a Plastibell device in neonatal circumcision in 2,000 instances. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1988; 167: 341-343.
8. Alanis MC, Lucidi RS. Neonatal circumcision: A review of the world's oldest and most controversial operation. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2004; 59: 379-395.
9. Alderson M, Occupational Cancer. 1986, London : Butterworths.
10. American Academy of Pediatrics. Task Force on Circumcision. Report of the Task Force on Circumcision. Pediatrics. 1989; 84: 388-391.
11. American Cancer Society. Cancer statistics.
12. American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Bioethics. Informed consent, parental permission, and assent in pediatric practice. Pediatrics. 1995; 95 (part 1): 314-317.
13. American Academy of Pediatrics. Committee on Quality Improvement. Subcommittee on Urinary Tract Infection. Practice parameter: the diagnosis, treatment, and evaluation of the initial urinary tract infection in febrile infants and young children. Pediatrics. 1999; 103: 843-852.
14. Anderson GG, Palermo JJ, Schilling JD, Roth R, Heuser J, Hultgren SJ. Intracellular bacterial biofilm-like pods in urinary tract infections. Science. 2003; 301: 105-107.
15. Anderson JE, Wilson R, Doll L, Jones S, Barker P. Condom use and HIV risk behaviors among US adults: data from a national survey. Fam Plann Perspect. 1999; 31: 24-28.
16. Apt A. Circumcision and prostatic cancer. Acta Med Scand. 1965; 178: 493-504.
17. Australia 's Health. The Third Biennial Report of the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Australian Government Printing Service, Canberra . 1992: 330.
18. Australian Paediatrics Association. Circumcision as a hygiene measure. Med J Aust. 1971; 2: 175.
19. Australian College of Paediatrics. Policy Statement on Neonatal Male Circumcision. 1995.
20. Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing. Medicare Benefits Schedule. 2004 ;
21. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Australian Government. Cancer in Australia to 2000. http://www.aihw.gov.au/cancer/datacubes/index.html and http://www.aihw.gov.au/publications/can/ca00/index.html. 2004.
22. Auvert B, Taljaard D, Lagarde E, Sobngwi-Tambekou J, Sitta R, Puren A. Randomized, controlled intervention trial of male Circumcision for reduction of HIV infection risk: The ANRS 1265 Trial. PLoS Med. 2005; 2 (10 pages): e298.
23. Aynaud O, Ionesco M, Barrasso R. Penile intraepithelial neoplasia â€“ specific clinical features correlate with histologic and virologic findings. Cancer. 1994; 74: 1762-1767.
24. Aynaud O, Piron D, Casanova J-M. Incidence of preputial lichen sclerosis in adults: Histologic study of circumcision specimens. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1999; 41: 923-926.
25. Badger J. Circumcision. What you think. Australian Forum. 1989; 2 (11): 10-29.
26. Badger J. The great circumcision report part 2. Australian Forum. 1989; 2 (12): 4-13.
27. Baeten JM, Richardson BA, Lavreys L, Rakwar JP, Mandaliya K, Bwayo JJ, Kreiss JK. Female-to-male infectivity of HIV-1 among circumcised and uncircumcised Kenyan men. J Infect Dis. 2005; 191: 546-553.
28. Bailey RC. Male circumcision as an effective HIV prevention strategy: Current evidence. 8th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, Chicago . 2001; S22: http://www.retroconference.org//requested_lectures.cfm?ID=383& mode =send.
29. Bailey RC, Muga R, Poulussen R, Abicht H. The acceptability of male circumcision to reduce HIV infections in Nyanza Province , Kenya . AIDS Care. 2002; 14: 27 -40.
30. Bailey RC, Neema S, Othieno R. Sexual behaviors and other HIV risk factors in circumcised and uncircumcised men in Uganda. J Acquired Immune Defic Syndrome. 1999; 22: 294-301.
31. Bailey RC, Plummer FA, Moses S. Male circumcision and HIV prevention: current knowledge and future research directions. Lancet Infect Dis. 2001; 1: 223-231.
32. Bailis SA. More on procedures in the evaluation of the febrile pediatric patient. Pediatr Ann. 1997; 26: 278.
33. Bailis SA. Circumcision â€“ The debate goes on. Pediatrics. 2000; 105: 682.
33a. Bailey RC, Moses S, Parker CB, Agot K, Maclean I, Krieger JN, Williams CF, Campbell RT, Ndinya-Achola JO. Male circumcision for HIV prevention in young men in Kisumu , Kenya : a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2007; 369: 643-656.
35. Barrasso R, De Brux J, Croissant O, Orth G. High prevalence of papillomavirus associated penile intraepithelial neoplasia in sexual partners of women with cervical intraepithelial neoplasia. N Engl J Med. 1987; 317: 916-923.
36. Baskin LS, Canning DA, Snyder HMI, Duckett JW. Surgical repair of urethral circumcision injuries. J Urol. 1997; 158: 2269-2271.
37. Basset I, Donovan B, Bodsworth NJ , Field PR, Ho DW, Jeansson S, Cunningham AL. Herpes simplex virus type 2 infection of heterosexual men attending a sexual health centre. Med J Aust. 1994; 160: 697-700.
38. BBC2 Television. The Valley of Life or Death. 2000, http://www.bbc.co.uk/horizon/valley_hiv_transcript.shtml: Broadcast in UK .
39. Beasley S, Darlow B, Craig J, Mulcahy D, Smith G. Royal Australasian College of Physicians. Policy Statement on Circumcision. 2004: http://www.racp.edu.au/hpu/paed/circumcision/.
41. Ben Chaim J, Livne PM, Binyamini J, Hardak B, Ben-Meir D, Mor Y. Complications of circumcision in Israel: a one year multicenter survey. Isr Med Assoc J. 2005; 7: 368-370.
42. Bleustein CB, Fogarty JD, Eckholdt H, Arezzo JC, Melman A. Effect of neonatal circumcision on penile neurological sensation. Urology. 2005; 65: 773-777.
43. Bongaarts J, Peining P, Way P, Conont F. The relationship between male circumcision and HIV infection in African populations. AIDS. 1989; 3: 373-377.
44. Boon ME, Susanti I, Tasche MJ, Kok LP. Human papillomavirus (HPV) associated male and female genital carcinomas in a Hindu population. The male as a vector and victim. Cancer. 1989; 64: 550-565.
45. Brisman M, Ljang BML, Otterbom I, Larsson LE, Andreasson SE. Methemoglobin formation after the use of EMLA cream in term neonates. Acta Pediatr. 1998; 87: 1191-1194.
46. British. British Medical Association. The law and ethics of male circumcision â€“ guidance for doctors. http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/malecircumcision2003. 2003.
47. British. British Medical Association. The law and ethics of male circumcision: guidance for doctors. J Med Ethics. 2004; 30: 259-263.
48. Broadman L, Hannallah R, Belman B, Elder P, Ruttiman U, Epstein B. Post-circumcision analgesia; a prospective evaluation of subcutaneous ring block of the penis. Anesthesiology. 1987; 67: 399-402.
49. Brown JE, Micheni KD, Grant EM, Mwenda JM, Muthiri FM, Grant AR. Varieties of male circumcision: a study from Kenya . Sex Transm Dis. 2001; 28: 608-612.
51. Burger R, Guthrie T. Why circumcision? Pediatrics. 1974; 54: 362-364.
52. Busby JE, Pettaway CA. What's new in the management of penile cancer? Curr Opin Urol. 2005; 15: 350-357.
53. Butler-O'Hara M, LeMoine C, Guillet R. Analgesia for neonatal circumcision: A randomized controlled trial of EMLA cream versus dorsal penile nerve block. Pediatrics. 1998; 101: http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/101/4/e5.
55. Caldwell JC, Caldwell P. The African AIDS epidemic. Sci Am. 1996; 274: 40-46.
56. Calnan M, Douglas JWB, Goldstein H. Tonsillectomy and circumcision: comparison of two cohorts. Int J Epidemiol. 1978; 7: 79.
57. Cameron BE, Simonsen JN, D'Costa LJ, Ronald AR, Maitha GM, Gakinya MN , Cheang M, Dinya-Achola JO, Piot P, Brunham RC, Plummer FA. Female to male transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1: risk factors for seroconversion in men. Lancet. 1989; ii: 403-407.
58. Carbajal R, Chauvet X, Couderc S, Oliver-Martin M. Randomized trial of analgesic effects of sucrose, glucose, and pacifiers in term neonates. Brit Med J. 1999; 319: 1393-1397.
59. Cascio S, Colhoun E, Puri P. Bacterial colonization of the prepuce in boys with vesicoureteral reflux who receive antibiotic prophylaxis. J Pediatr. 2001; 139: 160-162.
60. Castellsague X, Bosch FX, Munoz N, Meijer CJLM, Shah KV, de Sanjose S, Eluf-Neto J, Ngelangel CA, Chichareon S, Smith JS, Herrero R, Franceschi S. Male circumcision, penile human papillomavirus infection, and cervical cancer in female partners. N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 1105-1112.
61. Castellsague X, Peeling RW, Franceschi S, de Sanjose S, Smith JS, Albero G, Diaz M, Herrero R, Munoz N, Bosch FX. Chlamydia trachomatis infection in female partners of circumcised and uncircumcised adult men. Am J Epidemiol. 2005; 162: 907-916.
62. Celum CL, Buchbinder SP, Donnell D, Douglas JM, Jr., Mayer K, Koblin B, Marmor M, Bozeman S, Grant RM, Flores J, Sheppard HW. Early human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection in the HIV Network for Prevention Trials Vaccine Preparedness Cohort: risk behaviors, symptoms, and early plasma and genital tract virus load. J Infect Dis. 2001; 183: 23-35.
63. Cheng YW, Wong SN. Diagnosing symptomatic urinary tract infections in infants by catheter urine culture. J Paediatr Child Health. 2005; 41: 437-440.
64. Cherpes TL, Meyne LA, Krohn MA, Hiller SL. Risk factors for infection with herpes simplex virus type 2: Role of smoking, douching, uncircumcised males, and vaginal flora. Sex Transm Dis. 2003; 30: 405-410.
65. Christakis DA, Harvey E, Zerr DM, Feudtner C, Wright JA, Connell FA. A trade-off analysis of routine newborn circumcision. Pediatrics. 2000; 105: 246-249.
66. Cilento BGJ, Holmes NM , Canning DA. Plastibell complications revisited. Clin Pediatr. 1999; 38: 239-242.
67. Cohen J. HIV/AIDS. Prevention cocktails: combining tools to Stop HIV's spread. Science. 2005; 309: 1002-1005.
68. Cohen J. Male circumcision thwarts HIV infection. Science. 2005; 309: 860.
69. Cohen MS. Preventing sexual transmission of HIV â€“ New ideas from Sub-Saharan Africa. N Engl J Med. 2000; 342: 970-972.
70. Colby CJ, Schoen EJ, Ray GT, To T. Cost analysis of newborn circumcision (NC) in a large health maintenance organization (HMO). Pediat Res. 2001; 49 (Part 2): 395.
71. Cold CJ, Taylor JR. The prepuce. BJU Int. 1999; 83: 34-44.
73. Committee on the Fetus and Newborn, American Academy of Pediatrics. Standards and Recommendations for Hospital Care of Newborn Infants. 5th ed. 1971: American Academy of Pediatrics , Evanston , Illinois . page 110.
74. Foetus and Newborn Committee. Can Paed Soc News Bull. 1975; 8 (suppl): 1-2.
75. Cook LS, Koutsky LA, Holmes KK. Circumcision and sexually transmitted diseases. Am J Publ Health. 1994; 84: 197-201.
76. Corbett HJ, Humphrey GM. Early complications of circumcisions performed in the community. Br J Gen Pract. 2003; 53: 887-888.
77. Cox G. De virginibus, Puerisque. The function of the human foreskin considered from an evolutionary perspective. Med Hypoth. 1995; 45: 617-621.
78. Craig JC, Knight JF, Sureshkumar P, Mantz E, Roy LP. Effect of circumcision on incidence of urinary tract infection in preschool boys. J Pediat. 1996; 128: 23-27.
79. Crain EF, Gershel JC. Urinary tract infections in febrile infants younger than 8 weeks of age. Pediatrics. 1990; 86: 363-367.
80. Crawford ED, Dawkins CA, Skinner DG, Lieskowsky G, Cancer of the Penis and Management of Genitourinary Cancer. 1988, Philadelphia : WB Saunders. 549-563.
82. Daling JR, Madeleine MM, Johnson LG, Schwartz SM, Shera KA, Wurscher MA, Carter JJ, Porter PL, Galloway DA, McDougall JK, Krieger JN. Penile cancer: importance of circumcision, human papillomavirus and smoking in in situ and invasive disease. Int J Cancer. 2005; 116: 606-616.
83. Dave SS, Johnson AM, Fenton KA, Mercer CH, Erens B, Wellings K. Male circumcision in Britain : findings from a national probability sample survey. Sex Transm Infect. 2003; 79: 499-500.
84. De Vincenzi I, Mertens T. Male circumcision a role in HIV prevention? AIDS. 1994; 8: 153-60.
85. Dhar GM, Shah GN, Naheed B, Hafiza. Epidemiological trend in the distribution of cancer in Kashmir Valley . J Epidemiol Comm Hlth. 1993; 47: 290-292.
86. Diallo MO, Ackah AN, Lafontaine MF, Doorly R, Roux R, Kanga JM, Heroin P, De Cock KM. HIV-1 and HIV-2 infections in men attending sexually transmitted disease clinics in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire. AIDS. 1992; 6: 581-585.
87. Dickson N, van Roode T, Paul C. Herpes simplex virus type 2 status at age 26 is not related to early circumcision in a birth cohort. Sex Transm Dis. 2005; 32: 517-519.
88. Dillner J, Knekt P, Boman J, Lehtinen M, Afgeijersstam V, Sapp M, Schiller J, Maatela J, Aromaa A. Sero-epidemiological association between human-papillomavirus infection and risk of prostate cancer. Int J Cancer. 1998; 75: 564-567.
89. Diseker RA, Lin LS, Kamb ML, Peterman TA, Kent C, Zenilman J, Lentz A, Douglas JM, Rhodes F, Malotte KC, M. L. Fleeting foreskins: the misclassification of male circumcision status. Sex Transm Dis. 2001; 28: 330-335.
90. Diseker RA, Peterman TA, Kamb ML, Kent C, Zenilman JM, Douglas JM, Rhodes F, Iatesta M. Circumcision and STD in the United States : Cross sectional and cohort analysis. Sex Transm Infect. 2000; 76: 474-479.
91. Dodge OG, Linsell CA. Carcinoma of the penis in Uganda and Kenya Africans. Cancer. 1963; 18: 1255-1263.
92. Donovan B, Basset I, Bodsworth NJ . Male circumcision and common sexually transmissible diseases in a developed nation setting. Genitourin Med. 1994; 70: 317-320.
93. Donovan B, Ross MW. Preventing HIV: determinants of sexual behaviour (review). Lancet. 2000; 355: 1897-1901.
95. Drain PK , Smith JS, Hughes JP, Halperin DT, Holmes KK. Correlates of national HIV seroprevalence: An ecologic analysis of 122 developing countries. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2004; 35: 407-420.
96. Duncan ND, Dundas SE, Brown B, Pinnock-Ramsaran C, Badal G. Newborn circumcision using the Plastibell device: an audit of practice. West Indian Med J. 2004; 53: 23-26.
97. Dunsmuir WD, Gordon EM. The history of circumcision. BJU Int. 1999; 83 (suppl 1): 1-12.
98. Edwards S. Balanitis and balanoposthitis: A review. Genitourin Med. 1996; 72: 155-159.
99. English JC, Laws RA, Keough GC, Wilde JL, Foley JP, Elston DM. Dermatoses of the glans penis and prepuce. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1997; 37: 1-24.
100. Erikson SS. A model for teaching newborn circumcision. Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 93: 783-784.
101. Escala JM, Rickwood AMK. Balanitis. Br J Urol. 1989; 63: 196-197.
102. Etchells E, Sharpe G, Walsh P. Consent for circumcision. Can Med Assoc J. 1997; 156: 18.
103. Ewings P, Bowie C. A case-control study of cancer of the prostate in Somerset and east Devon . Br J Cancer. 1996; 74: 661-666.
104. Fakjian N, Hunter S, Cole GW, Miller J. An argument for circumcision. Prevention of balanitis in the adult. Arch Dermatol. 1990; 126: 1046-1047.
105. Ferrante P, Delbue S, Mancuso R. The manifestation of AIDS in Africa : an epidemiological overview. J Neurovirol. 2005; 11 (suppl 1): 50-57.
106. Fette A, Schleaf J, Haberlik A, Seebacher U. Circumcision in paediatric surgery using an ultasound dissection scalpel. Technol Hlth Care. 2000; 8: 75-79.
107. Fetus. Fetus and Newborn Committee, Canadian Paediatric Society. Neonatal circumcision revisited. Can Med Ass J. 1996; 154: 769-780.
108. Fink AJ. A possible explanation for heterosexual male infection with AIDS. N Engl J Med. 1986; 314: 1167.
109. Fink AJ. Newborn circumcision: a long-term strategy for AIDS prevention. J Roy Soc Med. 1990; 83: 673.
111. Fischbacher CM. Circumcision of newborn boys. Lancet. 1999; 353: 669-670.
112. Fonck K, Kidula N, Kirrui P, Ndinya-Achola J, Bwayo J, Claeys P, Temmerman M. Pattern of sexually transmitted diseases and risk factors among women attending an STD referral clinic in Nairobi, Kenya. Sex Transm Dis. 2000; 27: 417-423.
113. Franco EL. Male circumcision and AIDS in Africa . Primum non nocere versus the collective good. Epidemiology. 2004; 15: 133-134.
114. Frank R. A trade-off analysis of routine newborn circumcision. Pediatrics. 2000; 106: 954.
115. Frisch M, Friis S, Kjaer SK, Melbye M. Falling incidence of penile cancer in an uncircumcised population (Denmark 1943-90). Br Med J. 1995; 311: 1471.
116. Furgusson DM, Lawton JM, Shannon FT. Neonatal circumcision and penile problems: An 8-year longnitudinal study. Pediatrics. 1988; 81: 537-541.
117. Fussell EN, Kaak BM, Cherry R, Roberts JA. Adherence of bacteria to human foreskin. J Urol. 1988; 140: 997-1001.
119. Galalakshmi CK, Shanta V. Association between cervical and penile cancers in Madras , India . Acta Oncol. 1993; 32: 617-620.
120. Ganiats TG, Humphrey JBC, Taras HL, Kaplan RM. Routine neonatal circumcision: A cost-utility analysis. Med Decis Making. 1991; 11: 282-293.
121. Gardner AMN. Circumcision and sand. J Roy Soc Med. 1991; 84: 387.
122. Gargollo PC, Kozakewich HP, Bauer SB, Borer JG, Peters CA, Retik AB, Diamond DA. Balanitis xerotica obliterans in boys. J Urol. 2005; 174: 1409-1412.
123. Garry DJ, Swoboda E, Elimian A, Figueroa R. A video study of pain relief during newborn male circumcision. J Perinatol. 2005 (Epub ahead of print).
124. Gee WF, Ansell JS. Neonatal circumcision: A ten-year overview, with comparison of the Gomco clamp and the Plastibell device. Pediatrics. 1976; 58: 824-827.
125. Gelbaum I. Circumcision: to educate, not indoctrinate â€“ a mandate for certified nurse-midwives. J Nurse-Midwif. 1992; 2 (Suppl): 97S-113S.
126. Ginsburg CM, McCracken GH. Urinary tract infections in young children. Pediatrics. 1982; 69: 409-412.
127. Glennon J, Ryan PI, Keane CT, Rees JPR. Circumcision and periurethral carriage of Proteus mirabilis in boys. Arch Dis Child. 1988; 63: 556-557.
128. Godbole S, Mehendale S. HIV/AIDS epidemic in India : risk factors, risk behaviour & strategies for prevention & control. Indian J Med Res. 2005; 121: 356-368.
129. Gollaher DL. From ritual to science: the medical transformation of circumcision in America . J Soc Hist. 1994; 28: 5-36.
130. Goubet N, Rattaz C, Pierrat V, Bullinger A, Lequien P. Olfactory experience mediates response to pain in preterm newborns. Dev Psychobiol. 2003; 42: 171-180.
131. Goulding FJ. Penile block for postoperative pain relief in penile surgery. J Urol. 1981; 126: 337.
132. Govier T, A Practical Study of Argument. 4th edn ed. 1997, Belmont , California : Wadsworth Publishing Company.
133. Gray DT. Neonatal circumcision: cost-effective preventive measure or "the unkindest cut of all"? Med Decis Making. 2004; 24: 688-692.
134. Gray R, Azire J, Serwadda D, Kiwanuka N, Kigozi G, Kiddugavu M, Nalugoda F, Li X, Wawer M. Male circumcision and the risk of sexually transmitted infections and HIV in Rakai, Uganda. AIDS. 2004; 18: 2428-2430.
135. Gray RH, Kiwanuka N, Quinn T, Sewankambo NK, Serwadda D, Mangen FW, Lutalo T, Nalugoda F, Kelly R, Meehan M, Chen MZ, Li C, Wawer MJ. Male circumcision and HIV aquisition and transmission: Cohort studies in Raiki , Uganda . AIDS. 2000; 14: 42371-42381.
135a. Gray RH, Kigozi G, Serwadda D, Makumbi F, Watya S, Nalugoda F, Kiwanuka N, Moulton LH, Chaudhary MA, Chen MZ, Sewankambo NK, Wabwire-Mangen F, Bacon MC, Williams CF, Opendi P, Reynolds SJ, Laeyendecker O, Quinn TC, Wawer MJ. Male circumcision for HIV prevention in men in Rakai , Uganda : a randomised trial. Lancet. 2007;369): 657-666.
136. Gregg V. Aggressive treatment for early prostate cancer cost -effective. OncoLink - Cancer News. 2000; http://www.oncolink.com/resources/article.cfm?c=3&s=8&ss=23&id=587&month=05&year=2000.
137. Griffin AS , Kroovand RL. Frenular chordee: implications and treatment. Urology. 1990; 35: 133-134.
138. Griffiths DM, Atwell JD, Freeman NV. A prospective survey of the indications and morbidity of circumcision in children. Eur Urol. 1985; 11: 184-187.
139. Gross G, Pfister H. Role of human papillomavirus in penile cancer, penile intraepithelial squamous cell neoplasias and in genital warts. Med Microbiol Immunol. 2004; 193: 35-44.
141. Gunsar C, Kurutepe S, Alparslan O, Yulmaz O, Daglar Z, Sencan A, Genc A, Taneli C, Mir E. The effect of circumcision status on periurethral and glanular bacterial flora. Urol Int. 2004; 72: 212-215.
142. Hale P. Mission now possible for AIDS fund. Nature. 2001; 412: 271-272.
143. Halperin D, Bailey R. Male circumcision and HIV infection: 10 years and counting. Lancet. 1999; 354: 1813-5.
145. Halperin DT, Fritz K, McFarland W, Woelk G. Acceptability of adult male circumcision for sexually transmitted disease and HIV prevention in Zimbabwe. Sex Transm Dis. 2005; 32: 238-239.
146. Halperin DT, Steiner MJ, Cassell MM, Green EC, Hearst N, Kirby D, Gayle HD, Cates W. The time has come for common ground on preventing sexual transmission of HIV. Lancet. 2004; 364: 1913-1915.
147. Hammond T. A preliminary poll of men circumcised in infancy or childhood. BJU Int. 1999; 83 (suppl 1): 85-92.
148. Hardwick-Smith S, Mastrobattista JM, Wallace PA. Ring block for neonatal circumcision. Obstet Gynecol. 1998; 91: 930-934.
149. Harel L, Straussbergr R, Jackson S, Amir J, Tiqwa P. Influence of circumcision technique on frequency of urinary tract infections in neonates. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2002; 21: 879-880.
150. Hart G. Venereologica: facts and figures from an STD clinic. South Australian Health Commission, Adelaide . 1992: 33.
151. Hart G. Factors associated with genital chlamydial and gonoccocal infection in males. Genitourin Med. 1993; 69: 393-396.
152. Harturian NS, Smart CN, Thompson MS. The incidence and economic costs of cancer, motor vehicle injuries, coronary heart disease and stroke: a comparative analysis. Am J Public Health. 1980; 70: 1249-1260.
153. Hayes RJ, Schulz KF, Plummer FA. The cofactor effect of genital ulcers on the per-exposure risk of HIV transmission. J Trop Med Hyg. 1995; 98: 1-8.
154. Herschel M, Khoshnood B, Ellman C, Maydew N, Mittendorf R. Neonatal circumcision. Randomized trial of a sucrose pacifier for pain control. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1998; 152: 279-284.
155. Herzog LW. Urinary tract infections and circumcision: a case-control study. Am J Dis Child. 1989; 143: 348-350.
156. Herzog LW, Alvarez SR. The frequency of foreskin problems in uncircumcised children. Am J Dis Child. 1986; 140: 254-256.
157. Hira SK, Nkwane BM, Kamanga J, Wadhawan D, Kavindele D, Macuacua R, Mpoko G, Malek M, Cruess DF, Perine PL. Epidemiology of human immunodeficiency virus in families in Lusaka, Zambia. J AIDS. 1990; 3: 83-86.
158. Holliday MA, Pinckert TL, Kiernan SC, Kunos I, Angelus P, Keszler M. Dorsal penile nerve block vs topical placebo for circumcision in low-birth-weight neonates. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1999; 153: 476-480.
159. Holman JR, Lewis EL, Ringler RL. Neonatal circumcision techniques. Am Fam Physician. 1995; 52: 511-520.
160. Hooper RR, Reynolds GH, Jones OG, Zaidi A, Wiesner PJ, Latimer KP, Lester A, Campbell AF, Harrison WO, Karney WW, Holmes KK. Cohort study of venereal disease. I: the risk of gonorrhea transmission from infected women to men. Am J Epidemiol. 1978; 108: 136-144.
161. Howard C, Howard F, Garfunkel L, de B, Weitzman M. Neonatal circumcision and pain relief: Current training practices. Pediatrics. 1998; 101: 423-8.
162. Howard CR, Howard FM, Fortune K, Generalli P, Zolnoun D, ten Hoopen C, de Blieck E. A randomized, controlled trial of a eutectic mixture of local anesthetic cream (lidocaine and prilocaine) versus penile nerve block for pain relief during circircumcision. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 181: 1506-1511.
163. Hunter DJ. AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa : the epidemiology of heterosexual transmission and the prospects of prevention (Review). Epidemiology. 1993; 4: 63-72.
164. Hussain LA, Lehner T. Comparative investigation of Langerhans cells and potential receptors for HIV in oral, genitourinary and rectal epithelia. Immunology. 1995; 85: 475-484.
165. Isacsohn M, Dolberg L, Sabag SG, Mitrani-Rosenbaum S, Nubani N, Diamant YZ, Goldsmidt R. The inter-relationship of herpes virus, papilloma 16/18 virus infection and Pap smear pathology in Israeli women. Israel J Med Sci. 1994; 30: 383-7.
166. Ishikawa E, Kawakita M. Preputial development in Japanese boys. Hinyokika Kiyo. 2004; 50: 305-308.
167. Jacobson SH, Eklof O, Eriksson CG, Lins LE, Tidgren B, Winberg J. Development of hypertension and uraemia after pyelonephritis in childhood: 27 year follow up. Brit Med J. 1989; 16: 703-706.
168. Jemal A, T. M, Ward E, Samuels A, Tiwari RC, Ghafoor A, Feuer EJ, Thun MJ. Cancer statistics, 2005. CA Cancer J Clin. 2005; 55: 10-30.
169. Jessamine PG, Plummer FA, Ndinya-Achola JO, Wainberg MA, Wamolo I, D'Costa JL, Cameron DW, Simonsen JN, Plouroe P, Ronald AR. Human immunodeficiency virus, genital ulcers and the male forskin: synergism in HIV-1 transmission. Scand J Infect Dis. 1990 (suppl 69): 181-186.
170. Jha P, Nagelkerke NJD, Ngugi EN, prasada-Rao JVR, Willbond B, Moses S, Plummer FA. Reducing HIV transmission in developing countries. Science. 2001; 292: 224-225.
171. Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS. The HIV/AIDS Situation in Mid 1996: Global and Regional Highlights. United Nations, Geneva . 1996 (UNAIDS fact sheet).
171a. Kahn JG, Marseille E, Auvert B. Cost-effectiveness of male circumcision for HIV prevention in a South African setting. PLoS Med. 2006; 3: e517 (pp 2349-2358).
172. Kalcev B. Circumcision and personal hygiene in school boys. Med Officer. 1964; 112: 171-173.
173. Kallenius G, Moillby R, Svenson SB, Helin I, Hultberg H, Cedergren B, Winberg J. Occurrence of P-fimbriated Escherichia coli in urinary tract infections. Lancet. 1981; ii: 1369-1372.
174. Kallenius G, Svenson S, Mollby R, Cedergren B, Hultberg H, Winberg J. Structure of carbohydrate part of receptor on human uroepithelial cells for pyelonephritogenic Escherichia coli. Lancet. 1981; ii: 604-606.
175. Kanik AB, Lee J, Wax F, Bhawan J. Penile verrucous carcinoma in a 37-year-old circumcised man. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1997; 37: 329-331.
177. Kaplan GW. Complications of circumcision. Urol Clin North Am. 1983; 10: 543-549.
178. Karaman MI, Zulfikar B, Caskurlu T, Ergenekon E. Circumcision in hemophilia: a cost-effective method using a novel device. J Pediatr Surg. 2004; 39: 1562-1564.
179. Kassler WJ, Aral SO. Beyond risk groups: behavioral correlates of HIV seroconversion in sexually transmitted disease clinic patients. XI Int Mtg Int Soc STD Res. 1995: abstract #017.
180. Katelaris PM, Cossart YE, Rose BR, Thompson CH, Sorich E, Nightingale B, Dallas PB, Morris BJ. Human papillomavirus: the untreated male reservoir. J Urol. 1988; 140: 300-305.
181. Kaufman GE, Cimo S, Miller LW, Blass EM. An evaluation of the effects of sucrose on neonatal pain with 2 commonly used circumcision methods. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 186: 564-568.
182. Kebaabetswe P, Lockman S, Mogwe S, Mandevu R, Thior I, Essex M, Shapiro RL. Male circumcision: an acceptable strategy for HIV prevention in Botswana . Sex Transm Infect. 2003; 79: 214-219.
183. Kelly R, Kiwanuka N, Wawer MJ, Serwadda D, Sewankambo NK, Wabwire-Mangen F, Li C, Konde-Lule JK, Lutalo T, Makumbi F, Gray RH. Age of male circumcision and risk of HIV infection in rural Uganda . AIDS. 1999; 13: 399-405.
184. Kendirci M, Kadioglu A, Boylu U, Miroglu C. Urogenital surgery of the 15th century in Anatolia. J Urol. 2005; 173: 1879-82.
185. Kirby PK , Munyao T, Kreiss J, Holmes KK. The challenge of limiting the spread of human immune deficiency virus by controlling other sexually transmitted diseases [Review]. Arch Dermatol. 1991; 127: 237-242.
186. Kirkpatrick BV , Eitzman DV. Neonatal septicemia after circumcision. Clin Pediatr. 1974; 13: 767-768.
187. Kirya C, Werthmann M. Neonatal circumcision and penile dorsal nerve block: a painless procedure. J Pediatr. 1978; 92: 998-1000.
188. Kiss A, Kiraly L, Kutasy B, Merksz M. High incidence of balanitis xerotica obliterans in boys with phimosis: prospective 10-year study. Pediatr Dermatol. 2005; 22: 305-308.
189. Kochen M, McCurdy S. Circumcision and risk of cancer of the penis. A life-table analysis. Am J Dis Child. 1980; 134: 484-486.
190. Kohn F-M, Pflieger-Bruss S, Schill W-B. Penile skin diseases. Andrologia. 1999; 31 (suppl 1): 3-11.
191. Kotecha MT, Afghan RK, Vasilikopoulou E, Wilson E, Marsh P, Kast WM, Davies DH, Caparros-Wanderley W. Enhanced tumour growth after DNA vaccination against human papilloma virus E7 oncoprotein: evidence for tumour-induced immune deviation. Vaccine. 2003; 21: 2506-2515.
192. Koyle MA, Barqawi A, Wild J, Passamaneck M, Furness PD. Pediatric urinary tract infections: the role of fluoroquinolones. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2003; 22: 1133-1137.
194. Krieger JN, Bailey RC, Opeya J, Ayieko B, Opiyo F, Agot K, Parker C, Ndinya-Achola JO, Magoha GA , Moses S. Adult male circumcision: results of a standardized procedure in Kisumu District , Kenya . BJU Int. 2005; 96: 1109-1113.
195. Kunanusont C, Foy HM, Kreiss JK, Rerky-Ngaram S, Phanuphak P, Raktham S, Pau CP, Young NL. HIV-1 subtypes and male-to-female transmission in Thailand . Lancet. 1995; 345: 1078-1083.
196. Kunin SA. Circumcision - The debate goes on. Pediatrics. 2000; 105: 683.
197. Kurtis PS, DeSilva HN, Bernstein BA, Malakh L, Schrechter NL. A comparison of the Mogen and Gomco clamps in combination with dorsal penile nerve block in minimizing the pain of neonatal circumcision. Pediatrics. 1999; 103: E23.
198. Lafferty PM, MacGregor FB, Scobie WG. Management of foreskin problems. Arch Dis Childhood. 1991; 66: 696-697.
199. Lagarde E, Dirk T, Puren A, Reathe RT, Bertran A. Acceptability of male circumcision as a tool for preventing HIV infection in a highly infected community in South Africa. AIDS. 2003; 17: 89-95.
200. Lajous M, Mueller N, Cruz-Valdez A, Aguilar LV, Franceschi S, Hernandez-Avila M, Lazcano-Ponce E. Determinants of prevalence, acquisition, and persistence of human papillomavirus in healthy Mexican military men. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005; 14: 1710-1716.
201. Lander J, Brady-Fryer B, Metcalfe JB, Nazarali S, S. M. Comparison of ring block, dorsal penile nerve block, and topical anesthesia for neonatal circumcision. A randomized controlled trial. J Am Med Assoc. 1997; 278: 2157-2162.
202. Lander J, Metcalfe JB, Muttitt S, Brady-Fryer B. Local anaesthesia for infants undergoing circumcision. J Am Med Assoc. 1998; 279: 1171.
203. LandstrÃ¶m JT, Schuyler RW, Macris GP. Microsurgical penile replantation facilitated by postoperative HBO treatment. Microsurgery. 2004; 24: 49-55.
204. Langer JC, Coplen DE . Circumcision and pediatric disorders of the penis. Pediatr Clin N Am. 1998; 45: 801-812.
205. Lannon CM, Bailey AGD, Fleischman AR, Kaplan GW, Shoemaker CT, Swanson JT, Coustan D. Circumcision policy statement. Pediatrics. 1999; 103: 686-693.
206. Latif AS, Katzenstein DA, Bassett MT , Houston S, Emmanuel JC, Marowa E. Genital ulcers and transmission of HIV among couples in Zimbabwe . AIDS. 1989; 3: 519-523.
207. Laumann EO, Maal CM, Zuckerman EW. Circumcision in the United States . Prevalence, prophyactic effects, and sexual practice. J Am Med Assoc. 1997; 277: 1052-1057.
208. Lavreys L, Rakwar JP, Thompson ML, Kackson DJ, Mandaliya K, Chohan BH, Bwayo JJ, Ndinya-Achola JO, J.K. K. Effect of circumcision on incidence of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 and other sexually transmitted diseases: a prospective cohort study of trucking company employees in Kenya. J Inf Dis. 1999; 180: 330-336.
209. Law RM, Halpern S, Martins RF. Measurement of methemoglobin after EMLA analgesia for newborn circumcision. Biol Neonate. 1996; 70: 213-217.
210. Lawler FH, Bisonni RS, Holtgrave DR. Circumcision: a cost decision analysis of its medical value. Fam Med. 1991; 23: 587-593.
211. Lehr VT, Cepeda E, Frattarelli DA, Thomas R, LaMothe J, Aranda JV. Lidocaine 4% cream compared with lidocaine 2.5% and prilocaine 2.5% or dorsal penile block for circumcision. Am J Perinatol. 2005; 22: 231-237.
212. Lerman SE, Liao JC. Neonatal circumcision. Pediatr Clin N Am. 2001; 48: 1539-57.
213. Lohr JA. The foreskin and urinary tract infections. J Pediatr. 1989; 114: 502-504.
214. Lund L, Wai KH, Mui LM, Yeung CK. An 18-month follow-up study after randomized treatment of phimosis in boys with topical steroid versus placebo. Scand J Urol Nephrol. 2005; 39: 78-81.
215. Ly L, Sankaran K. Acute venous stasis and swelling of the lower abdomen and extremities in an infant after circumcision. CMAJ. 2003; 169: 216-217.
216. Maden C, Sherman KJ, Beckmann AM, Huslop TK, Heh OZ, Ashley RL, Daling JR. History of circumcision, medical conditions, and sexual activity and risk of penile cancer. J Nat Canc Inst. 1993; 85: 19-24.
218. Mallon E, Hawkins D, Dinneen M, Francis N, Fearfield L, Newson R, Bunker C. Circumcision and genital dermatoses. Arch Dermatol. 2000; 136: 350-354.
219. Marild S, Hansson S, Jodal U, Oden A, Svedberg K. Protective effect of breastfeeding against urinary tract infection. Acta Paediatr. 2004; 93: 164-168.
221. Marx JL. Circumcision may protect against the AIDS virus. Science. 1989; 245: 470-471.
222. Masood S, Patel HRH, Himpson RC, Palmer JH, Mufti GR, Sheriff MKM. Penile sensitivity and sexual satisfaction after circumcision: are we informing men correctly? Urol Int. 2005; 75: 62-66.
223. Masters WH, Johnson VE, Human Sexual Response. 1966, Boston : Little Brown.
224. Mastro T, Satten G, Nopkesorn T, Sangkharomya S, Longini I. Probability of female-to-male transmission of HIV-1 in Thailand. Lancet. 1994; 343: 204-207.
225. Mastro TM, de Vincenzi I. Probabilities of sexual HIV-1 transmission. AIDS. 1996; 10: S75-82.
226. Matsota P, Papageorgiou-Brousta M. Intraoperative and postoperative analgesia with subcutaneous ring block of the penis with levobupivacaine for circumcision in children. Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2004; 14: 198-202.
227. Mattson CL, Bailey RC, Muga R, Poulussen R, Onyango T. Acceptability of male circumcision and predictors of circumcision preference among men and women in Nyanza Province, Kenya. AIDS Care. 2005; 17: 182-194.
228. Maxwell LG, Yaster M. Analgesia for neonatal circumcision. No more studies, just do it. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1999; 153: 444-445.
229. McCance DJ, Kalache A, Ashdown K, Andrade L, Menezes F, Smith P, Doll R. Human papillomavirus types 16 and 18 in carcinoma of the penis from Brazil. J Cancer. 1986; 37: 55-59.
230. McIntosh N. Pain in the newborn, a possible new starting point. Eur J Pediatr. 1997; 156: 173-177.
231. Mihssin N, Moorthy K, Houghton PW. Retention of urine: an unusual complication of the Plastibell device. BJU Int. 1999; 84: 745.
232. Miller C. Localization of simian immunodeficiency virus-infected cells in the genital tract of amle and female rhesus macaques. J Reprod Immunol. 1998; 4: 331-339.
233. Moses S. Association between lack of male circumcision and risk for HIV infection: Review of the epidemiological evidence. XI Int Conf AIDS. 1996. Vancouver .
234. Moses S, Bailey RC, Ronald AR. Male circumcision: assessment of health benefits and risks. Sex Transm Inf. 1998; 74: 368-373.
235. Moses S, Bradley JE, Nagelkerke NJ, Ronald AR, Ndinya Achola JO, Plummer FA. Geographical patterns of male circumcision practices in Africa : association with HIV seroprevalance. Int J Epidemiol. 1990; 19: 693-697.
236. Moses S, Plummer FA, Bradley JF, Ndinya-Achola JO, Nagelkerke NJ, Ronald AR. The association between lack of male circumcision and risk for HIV infection: a review of the epidemiological data. Sexually Transm Dis. 1994; 21: 201-209.
237. Naimer SA, Trattner A. Are sterile conditions essential for all forms of cutaneous surgery? The case of ritual neonatal circumcision. J Cutan Med Surg. 2000; 4: 177-180.
238. Naja ZA, Ziade FM, Al-Tannir MA, Abi Mansour RM, El-Rajab MA. Addition of clonidine and fentanyl: comparison between three different regional anesthetic techniques in circumcision. Paediatr Anaesth. 2005; 15: 964-970.
239. Narayana AS, Olney LE, Loening SA. Carcinoma of the penis: analysis of 219 cases. Cancer. 1982; 49: 2185-2191.
240. National Center for Health Statistics of the Department of Health and Human Services. Trends in Circumcisions Among Newborns. 2003; http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/pubs/pubd/hestats/circumcisions/circumcisions.htm.
241. Nayir A. Circumcision for the prevention of significant bacteriuria in boys. Pediatr Nephrol. 2001; 16: 1129-1134.
242. Nelson CP, Dunn R, Wan J, Wei JT. The increasing incidence of newborn circumcision: data from the nationwide inpatient sample. J Urol. 2005; 173: 978-981.
243. Newell J, Senkoro K, Mosha F, Grosskurth H, Nicoll A, Barongo L, Borgdorff M, Klokke A, Changalucha J, Killewo J. A population-based study of syphilis and sexually transmitted disease syndromes in north-western Tanzania . 2. Risk factors and health seeking behaviour. Genitourin Med. 1993; 69: 421-426.
244. Niku SD, Stock JA, Kaplan GW. Neonatal circumcision [Review]. Urol Clin N Am. 1995; 22: 57 -65.
245. Nnko S, Washija R, Urassa M, Boerma JT. Dynamics of male circumcision practices in Northwest Tanzania . Sex Transm Dis. 2001; 28: 214-218.
246. O'Brien TR, Calle EE, Poole WK. Incidence of neonatal circumcision in Atlanta , 1985-1986. Southern Med J. 1995; 88: 411-415.
247. O'Donnell H. Circumcision Incidence in Australia . 2004; http://www.cirp.org/library/statistics/Australia/.
248. O'Farrell N. Enhanced efficiency of female-to-male HIV transmission in core groups in developing countries. Sex Transm Dis. 2001; 28: 84-91.
249. O'Farrell N, Quigley M, Fox P. Association between the intact foreskin and inferior standards of male genital hygiene behaviour: a cross-sectional study. Int J STD AIDS. 2005; 16: 556-559.
250. O'Hara K, O'Hara J. The effect of male circumcision on the sexual enjoyment of the female. BJU Int. 1999; 83 (suppl 1): 93-102.
251. Oh S-J, Kim KD, Kim KM, Kim KS, Kim KK, Kim JS, Kim HG, Woo YN, Yoon YL, Lee SD, Han SW, Lee SI, Choi H. Knowledge and attitudes of Korean parents towards their son's circumcision: a nationwide questionnaire study. BJU Int. 2002; 89: 426-432.
252. Oh SJ, Kim T, Lim DJ, Choi H. Knowledge of and attitude towards circumcision of adult Korean males by age. Acta Paediatr. 2004; 93: 1530-1534.
253. Ohjimi H, Ogata K, T. O. A new method for the relief of adult phimosis. J Urol. 1995; 153: 1607-1609.
254. Ohjimi T, Ohjimi H. Special surgical techniques for the relief of phimosis. J Dermatol Surg Oncol. 1981; 7: 326-330.
255. Opjordsmoen S, Waehre H, Aass N, Foss SD. Sexuality in patients treated for penile cancer; patient's experience and doctor's judgement. Br J Urol. 1994; 73: 554-560.
256. Orden B, Martin R, Franco A, Ibanez G, Mendez E. Balanitis caused by group A beta-hemolytic streptococci. Pediatr Infect Dis. 1996; 15: 920-921.
257. Osborne JE. HIV. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Nat Med. 1995; 1: 991-993.
258. Osmond TE. Is routine circumcision advisable? J Roy Army Med Corp. 1953; 99: 254.
259. Oster J. Further fate of the foreskin: incidence of preputial adhesions, phimosis and smegma among Danish schoolboys. Arch Dis Child. 1968; 43: 200-203.
260. Ozdemir E. Significantly increased complication risks with mass circumcisions. Br J Urol. 1998; 81: 652.
261. Ozkan KU, Gonen M, Sahinkanat T, Resim S, Celik M. Wound approximation with tissue glue in circumcision. Int J Urol. 2005; 12: 374-377.
262. Ozkan S, Gurpinar T. A serious circumcision complication: Penile shaft amputation and a new reattachment technique with a successful outcome. J Urol. 1997; 158: 1946-1947.
263. Padian NS, Shoboski SC, Glass SO, Vittingoff E. Heterosexual transmission of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in Northern California. Am J Epidemiol. 1997; 146: 350-357.
264. Pang MG, Kim DS. Extraordinary high rates of male circumcision in South Korea : history and underlying causes. BJU Int. 2002; 89: 48-54.
265. Parkash S, Jeyakumar S, Subramanyan K, Chaudhuri S. Human subpreputial collection: its nature and formation. J Urol. 1973; 110: 211-212.
266. Parker SW, Stewart AJ, Wren MN, Gollow MM, Straton JA. Circumcision and sexually transmissible diseases. Med J Aust. 1983; 2: 288-290.
267. Patterson BK, Landy A, Siegel JN, Flener Z, Pessis D, Chaviano A, Bailey RC. Susceptibility to human immunodeficiency virus-1 infection of human foreskin and cervical tissue grown in explant culture. Am J Pathol. 2002; 161: 867-873.
268. Patton JF, Urology. In United States Army Surgery in World War II. Office of the Surgeon General and Center of Military History. (See pages 52, 64, 100, 120, 121, 145, 146, 183, 488). 1987.
269. Peipert JF. Clinical practice. Genital chlamydial infections. N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 2424-2430.
270. Pepin J, Quigby M, Todd J, Gage I, Jenneh M, Van-Dyck E, Rot P, Whittle H. Association between HIV-2 infection and genital ulcer disease among male sexually transmitted disease patients in The Gambia. AIDS. 1992; 6: 489-493.
271. Peters B, Whittall T, Babaahmady K, Gray K, Vaughan R, Lehner T. Effect of heterosexual intercourse on mucosal alloimmunisation and resistance to HIV-1 infection. Lancet. 2004; 363: 518-524.
272. Peters KM, Kass EJ. Electrosurgery for routine pediatric penile procedures. J Urol. 1997; 157: 1453-1455.
273. Peto J. Cancer epidemiology in the last century and the next decade. Nature. 2001; 411: 390-395.
274. Pilcher H. Snapshot of a pandemic. Nature. 2004; 430: 135.
275. Plaut A, Kohn-Speyer AC. The carcinogenic action of smegma. Science. 1947; 105: 391-392.
276. Ponsky LE, Ross JH, Knipper N, Kay R. Penile adhesions after neonatal circumcision. J Urol. 2000; 164: 495-496.
277. Porter FL, Wolf CM, Miller JP. Procedural pain in newborn infants: The influence of intensity and development. Pediatrics. 1999; 104: e13.
278. Pratt-Thomas HR, Heins HC, Latham E, Dennis EJ, McIver FA. Carcinogenic effect of human smegma: An experimental study. Cancer. 1956; 9: 671-680.
279. Quaba O, MacKinlay GA. Changing trends in a decade of circumcision in Scotland . J Pediatr Surg. 2004; 39: 1037-1039.
280. Quayle SS, Coplen DE , Austin PF. The effect of healthcare coverage on circumcision rates among newborns. J Urol. 2003; 170: 1533-1536.
281. Quinn TC, Waw-er MJ, Sewankambo N, Serwadda D, Li C, Wabwire-Mangen F, Meehan MO, Lutalo T, Gray RH. Viral load and heterosexual transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1. N Engl J Med. 2000; 342: 921-929.
282. Rabinowitz R, Hullbert W. Newborn circumcision should not be performed without anesthesia. Birth. 1995; 22: 45 -46.
283. Rain-Taljaard RC, Lagarde E, Taljaard DJ, Campbell C, MacPhail C, Williams B, Auvert B. Potential for an intervention based on male circumcision in a South African town with high levels of HIV infection. AIDS Care. 2003; 15: 315-327.
284. Rakwar J, Lavreys L, Thompson ML, Jackson D, Bwayo J, Hassanali S, Mandaliya K, Ndinya-Achola J, Kreiss J. Cofactors in the acquisition of HIV-1 among heterosexual men: prospective cohort study of trucking company workers in Kenya . AIDS. 1999; 13: 607-614.
285. Ramet J, Benatar A, Diltoer M, Spapen H, Huyghens L. Neonatal circumcision. Lancet. 1997; 349: 1257.
286. Rattaz C, Goubet N, Bullinger A. The calming effect of a familiar odor on full-term newborns. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2005; 26: 86-92.
287. Ravich A, Ravich RA. Prophylaxis of cancer of the prostate, penis, and cervix by circumcision. N Y State J Med. 1951; 51: 1519-1520.
288. Reddy DG, Baruah IK. Carcinogenic action of human smegma. Arch Pathol. 1963; 75: 414.
289. Reis LAG, Kosary CL, Hankey BF, Millar BA, Edwards BK, eds, SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1973-1995. 1998, Bethesda , MD : National Cancer Institute.
290. Remondino PC, History of circumcision: From the earliest times to the present: Moral and physical reasons for its performance, with a history of eunuchism, hermaphrodism, etc and of the different operations practiced upon the prepuce. Physicians' and students' ready reference series; No. 11. (Republished 1990). 1891, Philadelphia : FA Davis Co.
291. Reynolds SJ, Shepherd ME, Risbud AR, Gangakhedkar RR, Brookmeyer RS, Divekar AD, Mehendale SM, Bollinger RC. Male circumcision and risk of HIV-1 and other sexually transmitted infections in India . Lancet. 2004; 363: 1039-1040.
291a. Richters J, Smith AM, de Visser RO, Grulich AE, Rissel CE. Circumcision in Australia : prevalence and effects on sexual health. Int J STD AIDS. 2006 Aug;17:547-54
292. Rickwood AMK, Kenny SE, Donnell SC. Towards evidence based circumcision of English boys: survey of trends in practice. Brit Med J. 2000; 321: 792-793.
293. Rickwood AMK, Walker J. Is phimosis overdiagnosed in boys and are too many circumcisions performed in consequence? Ann Coll Surg Engl. 1989; 71: 275-277.
294. Risser JM, Risser WL, Eissa MA, Cromwell PF, Barratt MS, Bortot A. Self-assessment of circumcision status by adolescents. Am J Epidemiol. 2004; 159: 1095-1097.
295. Roberts JA. Does circumcision prevent urinary tract infections? J Urol. 1986; 135: 991-992.
296. Ross AK, Eck JB, Tobias JD. Pediatric regional anesthesia: Beyond the caudal. Anesth Analg. 2000; 91: 16-26.
297. Ross RK, Paganini-Hill A, Henderson BE. The etiology of prostate cancer: What does the epidemiology suggest? Prostate. 1983; 4: 333-344.
298. Rushton HG, Majd M. Dimercaptosuccinic acid renal scintigraphy for the evaluation of pyelonephritis and scarring: a review of experimental and clinical studies. J Urol. 1992; 148: 1726-1732.
299. Rushton HG, Majd M. Pyelonephritis in male infants: how important is the foreskin? J Urol. 1992; 148: 733-736.
300. Russell CT, Chaseling J. Topical anaesthesia in neonatal circumcision: a study of 208 consecutive cases. Aust Fam Physician. 1996; 25 (suppl 1): 30-34.
301. Russell T. The case for circumcision. Med Observer. 1993 (1 Oct issue).
302. Russell T. Non-circumcision a legal risk. Law in Practice. 2005; Aug issue.
303. Sahin F, Beyazova U, Akturk A. Attitudes and practices regarding circumcision in Turkey . Child Care Health Dev. 2003; 29: 275-280.
304. Saitmacher F. Socialhygienische Betrachtungen zu einer Routinemassigen Zikumzision Mannlicher Sauglinge. Dtsche Gesundheitwesen. 1960; 15: 1217-1220.
305. Sanchez Merino JM, Parra Muntaner L, Jiminez Rodriguez M, Valerdiz Casola S, Monsalve Rodriguez M, Garcia Alonso J. Epidoid carcinoma of the penis. Arch Esp Urol. 2000; 53: 799-808.
306. Sandeman TF. Carcinoma of the penis. Australasian Radiol. 1990; 34: 12-16.
307. Schlosberger NM, Turner RA, Irwin CE, Jr. Early adolescent knowledge and attitudes about circumcision: methods and implications for research. J Adolescent Hlth. 1992; 13: 293-297.
308. Schmid GP, Buve A, Mugyeny P, Garnett GP, Hayes RJ, Williams BG, Calleja JG, De Cock KM, Whitworth JA, Kapiga SH, Ghys PD, Hankins C, Zaba B, Heimer R, Boerma JT. Transmission of HIV-1 infection in sub-Saharan Africa and effect of elimination of unsafe injections. Lancet. 2004; 363: 482-488.
309. Schoeberlein W. Bedeutung und Haeufigkeit von Phimose und Smegma. Muench Med Wschr. 1966; 7: 373-377.
310. Schoen EJ. The status of circumcision of newborns. N Engl J Med. 1990; 332: 1308-1312.
311. Schoen EJ. The relationship between circumcision and cancer of the penis. CA Cancer J Clin. 1991; 41: 306-309.
312. Schoen EJ. Circumcision updated â€“ implicated? Pediatrics. 1993; 92: 860-861.
313. Schoen EJ. Neonatal circumcision and penile cancer. Evidence that circumcision is protective is overwhelming. Br Med J. 1996; 46: 313.
314. Schoen EJ. Circumcision for preventing urinary tract infections in boys: North American view. Arch Dis Child. 2005; 90: 772-773.
315. Schoen EJ, Circumcision: Timely Information for Parents and Professionals from America 's #1 Expert on Circumcision. 2005: RDR Books, Berkeley , CA. pp 13-17.
316. Schoen EJ, Colby CJ, Ray GT. Newborn circumcision decreases incidence and costs of urinary tract infections in the first year of life. Pediatrics. 2000; 105: 789-793.
317. Schoen EJ, Oehrli M, Colby CJ, Machin G. The highly protective effect of newborn circumcision against invasive penile cancer. Pediatrics. 2000; 105: http://www.pediatrics.org/sgi/content/full/105/3/e36.
318. Schoen EJ, Wiswell TE, Moses S. New policy on circumcision â€“ Cause for concern. Pediatrics. 2000; 105: 620-623.
319. Schoen EJ, Wiswell TE, Moses S. Reply to Carole M. Lannon and the task force on circumcision. [Letter]. Pediatrics. 2001; 108: 211.
320. Schroeder AR, Newman TB, Wasserman RC, Finch SA, Pantell RH. Choice of urine collection methods for the diagnosis of urinary tract infection in young, febrile infants. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2005; 159: 915-922.
321. Schwarz GS. Infibulation, population control, and the medical profession. Bull NY Acad Med. 1970; 46: 964-980.
322. Scott BE, Weiss HA, Viljoen JI. The acceptability of male circumcision as an HIV intervention among a rural Zulu population, Kwazulu-Natal , South Africa . AIDS Care. 2005; 17: 304-313.
323. Senkul T, Iseri C, Sen B, Karademir K, Saracoglu F, Erden D. Circumcision in adults: Effect on sexual function. Urology. 2004; 63: 155-158.
324. Serour F, Samra Z, Kushel Z, Gorenstein A, Dan M. Comparative periurethral bacteriology of uncircumcised and circumcised males. Genitourin Med. 1997; 73: 288-290.
325. Shaw KN, Gorelick M, McGowan KL, Yakscoe NM , Schwartz JS. Prevalence of urinary tract infection in febrile young children in the emergency department. Pediatrics. 1998; 102: e16.
326. Shechet J, Fried SM, Tanenbaum B. Local anesthesia for infants undergoing circumcision. J Am Med Assoc. 1998; 279: 1170.
327. Short RV. Male circumcision: a scientific perspective. J Med Ethics. 2004; 30: 241.
328. Short RV. The HIV/AIDS pandemic: New ways of preventing infection in men. Reprod Fert Devel. 2004; 16.
329. Siegfried N, Muller M, Deeks J, Volmink J, Egger M, Low N, Walker S, Williamson P. HIV and male circumcision--a systematic review with assessment of the quality of studies. Lancet Inf Dis. 2005; 5: 165-173.
330. Simonsen JNM, Cameron DW, Gakinya MN, Ndinya-Achola JO, D'Costa LJ, Karasira P. HIV infection among men with STDs. N Engl J Med. 1988; 319: 274-278.
331. Singh-Grewal D, Macdessi J, Craig J. Circumcision for the prevention of urinary tract infections in boys: a systematic review of randomized trials and observational studies. Arch Dis Child. 2005; 90: 853-858.
332. Slaymaker E. A critique of international indicators of sexual risk behaviour. Sex Transm Infect. 2004; 80 (Suppl 2): ii13-ii21.
333. Smith G, Greenup R, Takafuji E. Circumcision as a risk factor for urethritis in racial groups. Am J Publ Health. 1987; 77: 452-454.
334. Sonmez F, Yazici M, Aydin N, Eyigor M, Univar T, Inan G, Gurel M. Possible asymptomatic carrier of Salmonella typhimurium in the preputium: a case report. Turk J Pediatr. 2001; 43: 76-78.
335. South MM, Strauss RA, South AP, Boggess JF, Thorp JM. The use of non-nutritive sucking to decrease the physiologic pain response during neonatal circumcision: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 193: 537-542.
336. Spach DH, Stapleton AE, Stamm WE. Lack of circumcision increases the risk of urinary tract infections in young men. J Am Med Assoc. 1992; 267: 679-681.
337. Stang H, Snellman L, Condon L, Conroy M, Liebo R, Brodersen L, Gunnar M. Beyond dorsal penile nerve block: A more humane circumcision. Pediatrics. 1997; 100: http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/100/2/e3.
338. Stang HJ, Snellman LW. Circumcision practice patterns in the United States . Pediatrics. 1998; 101: E51-E56.
339. Stenram A, Malmfors G, Okmian L. Circumcision for phimosis â€“ indications and results. Acta Paediat Scand. 1986; 75: 321-323.
340. Stenram A, Malmfors G, Okmian L. Circumcision for phimosis: a follow-up study. Scand J Urol Nephrol. 1986; 20: 89-92.
341. Stephenson J. New HIV prevention strategies urged: averting new infections key to controlling pandemic. J Am Med Assoc. 2004; 292: 1163-1164.
342. Sternberg WF, Scorr L, Smith LD, Ridgway CG, Stout M. Long-term effects of neonatal surgery on adulthood pain behavior. Pain. 2005; 113: 347-353.
343. Stull TL, LiPuma JJ. Epidemiology and natural history of urinary tract infections in children [Review]. Med Clin N Am. 1991; 75: 287-297.
344. Subramaniam R, Jacobsen AS. Sutureless circumcision: a prospective randomised controlled study. Pediatr Surg Int. 2004; 20: 783-785.
345. Szabo R, Short RV. How does male circumcision protect against HIV infection? Brit Med J. 2000; 320: 1592-1594.
346. Taddio A, Gurguis MG, Koren G. Lidocaine-prilocaine cream versus tetracaine gel for procedural pain in children. Ann Pharmacother. 2002; 36: 687-692.
347. Taddio A, Katz J, Herisch AL, G. K. Effect of neonatal circumcision on pain response during subsequent routine vaccination. Lancet. 1997; 349: 599-603.
348. Taddio A, Pollock N, Gilbert-Macleod C, Ohlsson K, Koren G. Combined analgesia and local anesthesia to minimize pain during circumcision. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2000; 154: 620-623.
349. Taddio A, Stevens B, Craig K, Rastogi P, Bendavid S, Shennan A, Mulligan P, Koren G. Efficacy and safety of lidocaine-prilocaine cream for pain during circumcision. N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 1197-1201.
350. Taeusch HW, Martinez AM, Partridge JC, Sniderman S, Armstrong-Wells J, Fuentes-Afflick E. Pain during Mogen or PlastiBell circumcision. J Perinatol. 2002; 22: 214-218.
352. Taylor PK, Rodin P. Herpes genitalis and circumcision. Brit J Ven Dis. 1975; 51: 274-277.
353. Telzak EE, Chiasson MA, Bevier PJ, Stoneburner RL, Castro KG, Jaffe HW. HIV-1 seroconversion in patients with and without genital ulcer disease. Ann Intern Med. 1993; 119: 1181-1186.
354. Thiruchelvam N, Cuckow PM. Effect of circumcision on urinary tract infection after successful antireflux surgery. BJU Int. 2005; 95: 453-454.
355. Thompson HC, King LR, Knox E. Report of the ad hoc Task Force of Circumcision. Pediatrics. 1975; 56: 610-611.
356. To T, Agha M, Dick PT, Feldman W. Cohort study on circumcision of newborn boys and subsequent risk of urinary tract infection. Lancet. 1998; 352: 1113-1116.
357. Toffler W, Sinclair A, White K. Dorsal penile nerve block during newborn circumcision: under-utilization of a proven technique? J Am Board Fam Pract. 1990; 3: 171-174.
358. Tokgoz H, Polat F, Tan MO, Sipahi B, Sultan N, Bozkirli I. Preputial bacterial colonisation in preschool and primary school children. Int Urol Nephrol. 2005; 37: 101-105.
359. Tsen HF, Morgenstern H, Mack T, Peters RK. Risk factors for penile cancer: results of a population-based case-control study in Los Angeles County ( United States ). Cancer Causes Control. 2001; 12: 267-277.
360. Tzeng Y-S, Tang S-H, Meng E, Lin T-F, Sun G-H. Ischemic glans penis after circumcision. Asian J Androl. 2004; 6: 161-163.
361. UNAIDS. Joint United Nations Programme on HIV-1/AIDS (UNAIDS) and World Health Organization (WHO). AIDS Epidemic Update. http://unaids.org.
362. Urassa M, Todd J, Boerma JT, Hayes R, Islingo R. Male circumcision and susceptibility to HIV infection among men in Tanzania. AIDS. 1997; 11: 73-80.
363. US Bureau of the Census. Recent HIV seroprevalanece levels by country: January 1998. Research Note No 24. 1998.
364. van Dijk M, de Boer JB, Koot H, Duivenvoorden HJ, Passchier J, Boowmeester N, Tibboel D. The association between physiological and behavioral pain measures in 0- to 3-year-old infants after major surgery. J Pain Symptom Mgt. 2001; 22: 600-609.
365. Van Howe RS. A cost-utility analysis of neonatal circumcision. Med Decis Making. 2004; 24: 584-601.
366. Viens AM. Value judgement, harm, and religious liberty. J Med Ethics. 2004; 30: 241-247.
367. Villa LL, Lopez A. Human papillomavirus sequence in penile carcinomas in Brazil . Int J Cancer. 1986; 37: 853-855.
368. Vittinghoff E, Douglas J, Judson F, McKirnan D, MacQueen K, Buchbinder SP. Per-contact risk of human immunodeficiency virus transmission between male sexual partners. Am J Epidemiol. 1999; 150: 306-311.
369. Walboomers J, Meijer C. Do HPV-negative cervical carcinomas exist? (editorial) J Pathol. 1997; 181: 253-254.
370. Walboomers JM, Jacobs MV, Manos MM, Bosch FX, Kummer JA, Shah KV, Snijders PJ, Peto J, Meijer CJ, Munoz N. Human papillomavirus is a necessary cause of invasive cervical cancer. J Pathol. 1999; 189: 12-19.
371. Waldinger MD, Quinn P, Dilleen M, Mundayat R, Schweitzer DH, Boolell M. A multinational population survey of intravaginal ejaculation latency time. J Sex Med. 2005; 2: 492-497.
372. Wan J. GOMCO circumcision clamp; an enduring and unexpected success. Urology. 2002; 59: 790-794.
373. Warner E, Strashin E. Benefits and risks of circumcision. Can Med Assoc. 1981; 125: 967-976.
374. Wawer MJ, Reynolds SJ, Serwadda D, Kigozi G, Kiwanuka N, Gray RH. Might male circumcision be more protective against HIV in the highly exposed? An immunological hypothesis. AIDS. 2005; 19: 2181-2182.
375. Weaver BA, Feng Q, Holmes KK, Kiviat N, Lee SK, Meyer C, Stern M, Koutsky LA. Evaluation of genital sites and sampling techniques for detection of human papillomavirus DNA in men. J Infect Dis. 2004; 189: 677-685.
376. Weiss G, Westbrook R, Sanders M. The distribution and density of Langerhans cells in the human prepuce: site of a diminished immune response. Isr J Med Sci. 1993; 29: 42-43.
377. Weiss GN. Prophylactic neonatal surgery and infectious diseases. Pediat Infect Dis J. 1997; 16: 727-734.
378. Weiss GN, Circumcision. in Textbook of Tropical Surgery, Kamel, Lumley, Editors. 2004.
379. Weiss HA, Quigley MA, Hayes RJ. Male circumcision and risk of HIV infection in sub-Saharan Africa : a systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS. 2000; 14: 2361-2370.
380. Weiss RA. Gulliver's travels in HIV land. Nature. 2001; 410: 963-967.
381. Wellings K, Field J, Johnson AM, Wadsworth J, Sexual behaviour in Britain â€“ The National Survey of Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles. 1994, London : Penguin.
382. Wellington N, Rieder M. Attitudes and practices regarding analgesia for newborn circumcision. Pediatrics. 1993; 92: 541-543.
383. Weniger BG, Brown T. The march of AIDS through Asia [Editorial]. N Engl J Med. 1996; 335: 343-345.
384. Whittington W, et al. HIV-1 in patients with genital lesions attending a North American STD clinic: Assessment of risk factors. Int Conf AIDS. 1989; 5: 409.
385. Wijesinha SS, Atkins BL, Dudley NE , Tam PK. Does circumcision alter the periurethral bacterial flora?. Pediat Surg Int. 1998; 13: 146-148.
385a. Williams BG, Lloyd-Smith JO, Gouws E, Hankins C, Getz WM,
Hargrove J, de Zoysa I, Dye C, Auvert B. The potential impact of male
circumcision on HIV in Sub-Saharan Africa. PLoS Med. 2006;3(e262):1032-1040
386. Williams N, Kapila L. Complications of circumcision. Brit J Surg. 1993; 80: 1231-1236.
388. Wilson RA. Circumcision and venereal disease. Can Med Ass J. 1947; 56: 54-56.
389. Wiswell TE. Do you favor routine neonatal circumcision? Yes. Postgrad Med. 1988; 84: 98-104.
390. Wiswell TE. Circumcision â€“ an update. Curr Problems Pediat. 1992; 10: 424-431.
391. Wiswell TE. Neonatal circumcision: a current appraisal. Focus Opin Pediat. 1995; 1: 93-99.
392. Wiswell TE. Circumcision circumspection. N Engl J Med. 1997; 36: 1244-1245.
393. Wiswell TE. Neonatal circumcision: a current appraisal. http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/2754/. 1997.
394. Wiswell TE. The prepuce, urinary tract infections, and the consequences. Pediatrics. 2000; 105: 8602.
395. Wiswell TE, Enzenauer RW, Holton ME, Cornish JD, Hankins CT. Declining frequency of circumcision: implications for changes in the absolute incidence and male to female sex ratio of urinary tract infections in early infancy. Pediatrics. 1987; 79: 338-341.
396. Wiswell TE, Geschke DW. Risks from circumcision during the first month of life compared with those for uncircumcised boys. Pediatrics. 1989; 83: 1011-1015.
397. Wiswell TE, Hachey WE. Urinary tract infections and the circumcision state: An update. Clin Pediat. 1993; 32: 130-134.
398. Wiswell TE, Miller GM, Gelston HM, Jr, Jones SK. Effects of circumcision status on periurethral bacterial flora during the first year of life. J Paediat. 1988; 113: 442-446.
399. Wiswell TE, Roscelli JD. Corroborative evidence for the decreased incidence of urinary tract infections in circumcised male infants. Pediatrics. 1982; 69: 96-99.
400. Wiswell TE, Smith FR, Bass JW. Decreased incidence of urinary tract infections in circumcised male infants. Pediatrics. 1985; 75: 901-903.
401. Wiswell TE, Tencer HL, Welch CA , Chamberlain JL. Circumcision in children beyond the neonatal period. Pediatrics. 1993; 92: 791-793.
402. Wolbarst AL. Circumcision and penile cancer. Lancet. 1932; i: 150-153.
403. Woodman PJ. Topical lidocaine-prilocaine versus lidocaine for neonatal circumcision: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 93: 775-779.
404. World., World Health Organization, International Agency for Research on Cancer. Cancer Incidence in Five Countries. International Agency for Research on Cancer. Vol. vol 1 â€“ vol 7. 1966-1997.
405. Wright J. How smegma serves the penis? Sexology. 1970; 37: 50-53.
406. Yang SS, Tsai YC, Wu CC, Liu SP, Wang CC. Highly potent and moderately potent topical steroids are effective in treating phimosis: a prospective randomized study. J Urol. 2005; 173: 1361-1363.
407. Zampieri N, Corroppolo M, Camoglio FS, Giacomello L, Ottolenghi A. Phimosis: stretching methods with or without application of topical steroids? J Pediatr. 2005; 147: 705-706.
408. Zorc JJ, Kiddoo DA, Shaw KN. Diagnosis and management of pediatric urinary tract infections. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2005; 18: 417-422.
409. Zorc JJ, Levine DA, Platt SL, Dayan PS, Macias CG, Krief W, Schor J, Bank D, Shaw KN, Kuppermann N. Clinical and demographic factors associated with urinary tract infection in young febrile infants. Pediatrics. 2005; 116: 644-648.
410. Zouhair A, Coucke PA, Jeanneret W, Douglas P, Do HP, Jichlinski P, Mirimanoff RO, Ozsahin M. Radiation therapy alone or combined surgery and radiation therapy in squamous-cell carcinoma of the penis? Eur J Cancer. 2001; 37: 198-203.